Hiking: Conquer the Chief
Note: Non-Grad Students are defined as UBC Faculty and Staff, and spouses/partners of UBC Graduate Students
Get out and experience the Canadian great outdoors on one of the most iconic hikes near Vancouver. The Chief is a must-do for anyone visiting or living in Vancouver! Get your photo on top of the first peak of the Chief with one of the most panoramic views you can get of the ocean, mountains, glaciers and the city of Squamish below. This hike will take approximately 4 hours round trip that includes breaks and selfie stops.
THIS IS AN INTERMEDIATE/DIFFICULT HIKE! With over 530m in elevation gain in 1.5km, shoes/boots with good support and at least 1 litre of water are a must. No sandals/Converse! Other recommendations:
- Bring snacks or a lunch for a picnic with a view at the top!
- Wear fitness clothing (stretchy or quick dry hiking clothes) and we would advise against jeans.
- Hiking poles are recommended but not required (and will not be made fun of. We’ll actually be jealous)
8:15am: UBC Thea Koerner House (6371 Crescent Road)
- 8:00am: Please arrive early to check in for the bus.
- The bus will leave at 8:15am sharp!
- No coffee shops near the GSS Office are open at this time – bring breakfast and coffee with you or eat at home!
8:45am: Waterfront SkyTrain Station – Outside Tim Hortons
- 8:30am: Please arrive early to check in for the bus
- The bus will leave at 8:45am sharp!
2:30pm: The Chief
- 2:15pm: open for check in for the bus
Sea to Sky Gondola Ride Option
Don’t feel like hiking your way up the mountain? How about a gondola ride that does the work for you? The Sea to Sky Gondola is conveniently located at the base of the mountain and provides new views of Shannon Falls and the famous Squamish Chief climbing area.
Once at the top, many other adventures await. You will have access to a wide array of outdoor experiences including two different interpretive loop walking trails with cantilevered viewing platforms, the spectacular Sky Pilot Suspension Bridge, numerous hiking trails, rock climbing, access trails to backcountry routes and much more.
This option is at your own expense.
To avoid EventBrite fees, pre-event in-person ticket sales is available at the GSS Office with exact cash or cheque only.